Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Week 6- Jamie Feldmar

This is an AP photo published by the BBC news online, accompanying a story about Israel's use of drone missiles over Gaza. I have mixed feelings about this shot: I was initially drawn to it because it is unusual, and I couldn't make out exactly what was going on. Upon further review, I still couldn't really tell what this was a picture of until I read the caption, which reads "Unmanned drones (one visible, top right) were used extensively by Israel over Gaza." So while this is a very artistic and attention-grabbing photo, I don't think it does the best job telling the story. The supposed subject-- unmanned drones-- is the smallest and most hidden element in the frame, and the shot overall could be anything-- I actually thought at first that it was microscopic organisms in a petri dish.

This is a shot of the Essex Market in the Lower East Side, appearing in this week's New York Times. The variety of foods here creates a great rainbow, and I'm not sure exactly where to look at first. There's a lot going on in this picture, but that reflects the overall atmosphere in the Essex Market. I like that this is shot from above, so we can see the scope and variety of offerings there, and I like the blur of movement from the woman working the vegetable stand.

This shot is from a New York Times Health article about women in Tanzania being treated for a birth injury. I find it quiet but still moving-- these women are all still, in matching white wraps, waiting their turn at the hospital. The blue wall in the back provides a great color contrast, especially with the white gleam on the left. The use of shadow and light is also very effective-- the women fade in brightness from left to right, with the one on the right side almost entirely obscured by shadow. None of the women are smiling, adding a somber tone to the shot. I think this a well done, and sobering, environmental [group] portrait.

1 comment:

  1. Medical complications during birth necessitate a birth injury attorney or birth injury lawyer.

    ReplyDelete